Friday, January 23, 2009

Remembering my Dad aka Bumpa

It will be 11 years on 1/25/2009 since my dad passed away from colon cancer. It seems like yesterday.... he lived long enough to see me married - which he never thought would happen - and he also lived long enough to know that I was pregnant - but he never got to meet his 2 grandchildren - and he was such a wonderful grandpa. I envy my nephews and niece that got to meet him and know him and have their pictures taken with him - they have memories. My kids only know "Bumpa" from pictures. My dad died on 1/25/1998 on Superbowl Sunday, the last Superbowl the Packers played in. Needless to say, I don't get into the Superbowl much anymore. I know it is not always on 1/25 but I associatethe Superbowl with my dad's death and on Superbowl Sunday I just want to hangout with my kids and husband and just be. I feel my dad with me more this time of the year than any other. He comes to me on occasion throughout the year but I always feel his presence around the time of his death and in October around his birthday. It warms my heart and freaks me out a little too but I long for his reminders to not forget him.

I received this from a friend today, but I feel like it really came from my dad - this is his reminder this year. I also lost my older sister to brain cancer a little over 2 years ago and maybe she played a part in sending this too. Just a warning... this is kind of a chick thing so you guys may not get it... ha ha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_4qwVLqt9Q

Since watching this I have been thinking about my friends and family and how each one of them is special to me in their own way. We don't tell those close to us how much they mean to us often enough. We get caught up in our day to day routine. Crap, we are all busy and we need to remember to slow down sometimes, count our blessings and tell our friends and family how much they mean to us. So instead of hugging a tree today, hug a friend, a sister, a brother, your kids, your parents, your husband, your wife and anyone else who is important to you.

1 comment:

Collin Kromke said...

This would probably be a good time to tell you that you mean the world to me. I can't imagine my life with anyone but you, and I too reflect on your dad at this time every year. We'll never stop missing him.