Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Our new scale




Well it arrived yesterday. Our shiny, new, does everything but talk to you scale. If it talked it would have already been thrown out the window. If I were in better shape I would even call it neat. It tells me my weight, body fat %, BMI, resting metabolism, skeltal muscle, and visceral fat. Let me just say I have a long way to go to be even close to where I envision myself. The only good news was my visceral fat - everything looks good around my organs.

This is how my morning went. Wake up, get the kids up, off to the shower (so far so good), get out of the shower, hop on the scale.... that is when my day went from good to crap. I knew it was not going to be good news, but I did not expect the results that I got. I know I am almost 43 and that after I was finished with my child bearing years I did not do much to get back into shape. I became lazy in the workout department. That is my fault.

The frustrating and somewhat depressing part for me is that I am trying so hard to get back into shape. I run 3X a week and have changed my eating habits and I really thought I would see a payoff. It is not happening. I feel better and my hubby tells me he is seeing a difference, but that damn shiny, new scale is not showing me the results I want. Hmpf!!

Wake up call.... I obviously have to do more than what I am doing. I need to get back to what I was doing last year and that is going to the YMCA and doing more on my off running days. Tonight I am going to try deep water exercise. I am thinking of getting a personal trainer, but they are very spendy. So I have decided I will do more at the Y on my off days - doing my DVD's at home is not enough. I do better in a group because I am competitive and I will not quit even when I want to. At home, with no one to make me accountable, I quit sometimes - even if it is only for a minute.

With a lot of hard work I will get there. My goal is 15 lbs by 5/3 for the 1/2 marathon and then I will continue after that for a total weight loss goal of 40 - 50 lbs by the end of the year. I am not going to get caught up into the routine of getting on this scale everyday.. probably once a week for now.

No comments: