Saturday, February 21, 2009

Old Man Winter is back...


Woke up this morning to about 4-5 inches of snow. Damn. All of our snow was almost gone. I am hoping the weather man is right and next week it will warm up, rain and melt this crap. I really need to start running outside. I can't take the treadmill much longer since my miles are increasing now. Those couple of days of running outside made me want Spring to come that much sooner.

I finished week 6 of my training - only 10 more weeks. Monday was an easy 2 mile run (funny how now 2 miles are easy) Wed. was 5 miles and today was 6 miles. I finished my 6 miles today at 65 mins and some odd seconds - 2 minutes faster than last Saturday. I am slowing chipping away at the minutes - just a little under 11 min miles. God, what would not give to be able to run a 10 min mile in the near future - please? I will keep working at it and maybe, just maybe, someday I will surprise myself.

After doing some research over the last couple of weeks I have decided that in order to lose the weight I want to lose, I need to incorporate some interval training and weights into my weekly routine. Everything I read and a couple of trainers I have talked to say it is tough to lose weight while doing long runs. Interval training on the treadmill, bike, or elliptical is definately what will help take the weight off along with weight training. So, that is it, on my off days I will do 30 minutes of interval training on the elliptical - I don't want to do the dreadmill because I don't want to get hurt - I don't think my knees can take that kind of beating. After my interval training I would like to do at least 30 minutes of weight training. I hope to see some weight come off. Basically, I am looking at 6 days of training and 1 off day which will be Sundays.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this plan will work for me. Only 11 weeks until the 1/2 marathon and I would like to lose 10 lbs.

No comments: