Monday, December 22, 2008

I Need Motivation

Seriously... I need to get going on my running but I just can't get my rear in gear. I don't know if it is the weather, the holiday rush or just laziness. I hate running on the treadmill but I know that is how I am going to have to train. We have too much snow and ice on the sidewalks and streets - not to mention the sub zero temperatures outside.

We are working on getting our workout room set up over our vacation so that will help. It will be nice, we will have the TV set up and DVD player so that I can pass the time away without looking at the screen on the treadmill. It just pains me to run on a treadmill... I get so bored. I am going to have to find a specific workout to do to make it go faster instead of running 5.5 mph for 3 miles. I know it is not a long time but it feels like FOREVER.

I also think I need to drag my butt out of the house in the cold and snow and go to the Y to workout. There is too much to do at home and I can come up with a number of things to do besides run or workout.... so I need to go where the only thing to do is workout and that is the Y.

A new year is around the corner and hopefully that means a lot of motivation for me...

Merry Christmas to all....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Stay Strong Amy... This is a qulte on my screen saver: I've been given a gift. The gift to feel. To know I'm alive. To sense in every moment that I've pushed myself to the limit. Train Hard - LIVESTRONG

You can do this!!!!!!!! At least you have a choice to "get bored" on the treadmil right???

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I can only run on the treadmill if I do intervals - otherwise I get superbored. And actually I think it is a great way to get faster - like I run 5.5mph during a TV show and during the commercials I run 6.5mph (I typically run about 6.0mph outside). But you get to feel what it is like to go faster than you normally do and at first it hurts a lot but then you realize you can kinda handle it (and if anything it will be over when the commercial ends!)

Amy said...

Excellent idea... I am going to give it a try... Thanks

michaelg said...

Dwyer?? For real?
If it's any consolation, I'm fat too. You're at least doing something more about it than my daily regimine of whining and holiday cookies.

Scott J. said...

Dwyer! Nice to see another Viking on the internets.

If you find that motivation, send a little my way. My stomach is working overtime to remind me that I'm not a kid anymore, and the weather is doing its best to keep me inside.

CJ said...

If you go running outside it really warms you up. You just need to keep the extremities warm: mittens, socks, and a thin wicking balaclava. The balaclava will keep warm the air you breathe. You can get one at a bike shop.

You can't do it right after a snowfall, but I run in my good running shoes after it's cleaned up.

Many nights I've thought it's too cold to run, but once I run I'm glad I did it.

Melinda Gustafson Gervasi said...

The snow and cold have been keeping me inside too. I have a 4 month old and really wish I could get outside to walk, and eventually work up to running again. Last week I purchased a new fitness item that I can do inside, and it sounded fun....a fitness hula hoop. Hooping is a new trend, recently featured in the Wisconsin State Journal. Trying something new is a great way to inject some fun into your workout. And hooping is great for your abs. I got started by going to hoopelation.com. Good luck in 2009!

Little Sister said...

Go get 'em, Amy. I too need to take some serious poundage off. I have an eliptical in the basement and free weights...do I use them? Mmmmm. I so enjoy being outside and even when it is cold, the fresh air really "blows the stink off" which helps with overall attitude. I will e-mail you soon!